Road Rules for Winter Weather
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind if you have to get behind the wheel during icy or snowy weather:
- Drive slowly, and allow at least three times more space than usual between your car and the vehicle in front of you.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
- Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
- Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
- If your rear wheels skid, take your foot off the accelerator and steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. If you have standard brakes, pump them gently. If you have anti-lock brakes, do not pump the brakes; instead, apply steady pressure. You will feel the brakes pulse, which is normal.
- If your front wheels skid, take your foot off the gas and shift to neutral, but don’t try to steer immediately.