Recipes For Summertime Cookouts and Picnics
Summer sunshine and warm temperatures receive a second place red ribbon in my book as a food-loving dietitian. The first place blue ribbon goes to all the eating events and activities that are the very essence of summertime, such as:
1. Standing over the sink eating a huge, round, juicy, red tomato or fresh peach.
2. Eating a huge slice of watermelon at a picnic in the park.
3. Having a hot dog or bratwurst – or both – at an outdoor ball game.
4. Biting into a butter-coated ear of sweet corn at the state fair.
5. Making homemade ice cream with pure, heavy cream.
6. Figuring out whether to make muffins, cake or bread with the abundant harvest of summer squash and zucchini.
In between all these requisite activities, you’ll undoubtedly need a dish for a picnic, cookout or family reunion. Make a batch of Zesty Corn and Black Bean Salsa to showcase sweet corn and tomatoes. Or highlight the watermelon with the unique, sweet-salty Watermelon Tomato Salad with Feta Cheese. And for a neighborhood cookout, Grilled Thai Beef Burgers will keep everyone healthy, happy and coming back for seconds.
|About the Author: Registered dietitian Kim Galeaz is an Indianapolis-based writer and culinary-nutrition consultant to the food, beverage and agriculture industry. She also blogs at The Dietitian Does dessert … Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, Too.|