10 Blueberry Recipes for National Blueberry Month in July
July is National Blueberry Month because it is the peak of the harvest season. Maine is the blueberry production capital of North America and produces almost 100% of all berries harvested in the country. Check out these other facts about blueberries:
- Blueberries are one of the only natural foods that are truly blue in color.
- The blueberry industry of North America ships over 500 metric tons of fresh berries to Japan each year and over 100 metric tons to Iceland.
- Blueberries are naturally low in both fat and sodium.
- The berries contain more antioxidants than most other fruits or vegetables and may help prevent damage caused by cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s.
- Blueberries grow best in acidic soil at a pH of four to five and make a good container plant.
- Minnesota claims the blueberry muffin as its official state muffin and New Jersey claims the berry as its official state fruit.
- The annual harvest of North American blueberries would cover a four lane highway from Chicago to New York if spread out in a single layer.
Here are some of our favorite blueberry recipes: