Farm Facts About Strawberries
Fresh spring strawberries are a sweet treat. Learn more about the ruby red fruit and what types grow in Illinois:
- Strawberries grow in all 50 states. The U.S. produces more strawberries than anywhere else in the world.
- On average, there are 200 seeds in a single strawberry.
- There are 55 calories in one cup of strawberries. They also contain a large amount of vitamin C.
- 94% of U.S. households that consume strawberries.
- The strawberry is a member of the rose family.
- There are three types of strawberries that grow in Illinois: June or spring bearing, everbearing and day neutral.
- Strawberries are the first type of fruit to ripen in the spring. Illinois’ U-pick strawberry patches typically open in mid- to late-May in southern Illinois and early to mid-June in northern Illinois.
- Strawberries are perennials, planted in the spring.