6 Ways to Beat the Heat This Summer
When the temperatures hit summer highs, make sure you’re taking proper precautions to avoid heat exhaustion and heat stroke when working outside.
- Avoid extended exposure to direct sunlight between the peak hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. As much as possible, limit your outdoor work to morning and evening hours.
- Take frequent breaks in the shade or in an air-conditioned facility.
- Drink plenty of fluids regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- Avoid liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar. These cause you to lose more body fluid.
- Don’t ignore excessive heat warnings.
- Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.